top of page

Business Licences

Most businesses in Gibraltar require a licence(s) to be able to undertake various activities. Therefore, prior to entering any form of registration or negotiations,

Business Licences

it is of vital importance to identify the types of licences required for your specific business, as this may determine the registration procedure as well as the policies that have to be followed. Should you require any further information regarding the types of licences required for a business, please do not hesitate to contact the Ministry for Enterprise, Training and Employment.

Light Manufacturing Licence

The Minister for Enterprise may at their discretion issue a certificate in respect of goods that are imported into Gibraltar exclusively for use in a project, development or activity that they have determined to be in the economic and social interest of Gibraltar.

The certificate would apply to and exempt the rate of duty on:

• Materials, components or other goods imported for manufacture, assembly or processing in Gibraltar and which are used for the purpose of setting up an industrial activity

• The packaging materials for the re-export trade, although certain criteria have to be met

• The exportation from private bonded warehouses of goods excluding wines, spirits and tobaccos to ships over 1500 tons

• For machinery and/or equipment fitted in Gibraltar in ships of not less than 500 gross registered tons, material used for ship repairing, overhauled industrial plant, accessories, and spare parts thereof

Trade Licence

Any person wishing to buy or sell any product by way of business, whether wholesale or retail, as well as engage in certain commercial activities, is required to be licensed under the Trade Licensing Act 1978. A Trade Licence is also necessary to obtain a Customs code for the importation of goods in commercial quantities.

Please note that in order to legitimately carry out any construction activities, the developer is required to obtain a Trade Licence. Nonetheless, a Temporary Trade Licence may be granted for the duration of a project, which will be issued to the site or property being developed or to the developer’s base of operations. Alternatively, the developer may subcontract the services of any other company. Any subcontractors, however, are likewise required to obtain a Trade Licence.

Commercial Activities that require a Trade Licence

• Building Contracting
• Carpentry
• Electrical Contracting
• Decorating
• Hairdressing
• Manufacturing
• Joinery
• Painting
• Woodwork
• Property Development
• Plumbing
• Catering*

*Catering includes canteens, caterers, clubs, hoteliers, and publicans


Two completed copies of the Notice of intention to apply for a Trading Licence/Business Licence (Form 3) must be published; one in the Gibraltar Gazette (5th Floor,Treasury Building,23 Mackintosh Square, Gibraltar, Tel: +350 20047932, Fax: +350 20041822, ) for a fee of £16, and another in any other newspaper circulating in Gibraltar (prices may vary between local publications, though expect to pay around £40).

Once both have been published, the applicant would have to submit a copy of each, together with a completed Application for issue for a Trading/Business Licence (Form 5), to the Trade Licence & Other Licences section; Department of Enterprise & Development, Suite 631, Europort, Gibraltar, to apply for the issuing of the licence.

Within 14 days of the date of publication, anyone wishing to object to the granting of the licence may do so by giving notice in writing to the licensing authority, stating the grounds for objection. After this period of 14 days has elapsed, the Trade Licensing Committee considers the application. Objectors, if any, are given 7 days’ notice to attend a hearing.

Special Notes

In Gibraltar, most businesses require a Trade Licence and it is important to bear in mind that:

• The Trade Licence is issued to the premises and not to the businessperson or company, thus, prior to submitting an application for a Trade Licence, suitable commercial premises needs to be acquired beforehand. Without suitable commercial premises, the licence cannot be issued.

• It is illegal to start trading without having obtained a Trade Licence.


Trade Licence Office
Department of Public Transport & Commercial Affairs
Suite 631, Europort
Tel: +350 20065395
Fax: +350 20071950 This e-mail is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

Department of Transport

The Department of Transport comes under the Ministry of Enterprise, Development, Technology & Transport. The Department is run by the Chief Motor Vehicle Examiner, who is supported by a team of Driving and Vehicle Examiners, Vehicle Testers and Admin/Clerical staff. The two principal Acts, which the Department is responsible for, comprise the Traffic Act and the Transport Act.

The responsibilities of the Department, under the Traffic Act, are broadly as follows:

• To register and license vehicles in Gibraltar
• To carry out Motor Vehicle Tests on motor vehicles to meet EU standards
• To test drivers and issue driving licences

To view the local Traffic Acts visit

Vehicle Licences

A Drivers Licence is issued once the two parts of the test (i.e. Theory and Practical) have been successfully completed. Currently there are several licence categories.

These have been included below:

• International Driving Permit – International driving permits require the production of two passport-sized photographs together with the completed application form. International Driving Permits are issued, initially, for a period of one year. They can be renewed at any time within five years of first being issued.
• Dealer’s Licence – A dealer’s licence may be issued to any manufacturer, repairer or dealer in motor vehicles. Dealers Licences expire on 30 March each year and must be renewed before this date. A dealer’s licence allows the holder, under certain circumstances, to use a dealer’s licence (blue DLR licence plate) as a Motor Vehicle Licence (Road Tax Disk). In most cases, the use of a DLR licence plate is only allowed for transferring non-registered vehicles between two points, such as for example, from the dealer’s warehouse to the showroom.

• Self Drive Operator – Self Drive Operators are commonly known as Car Hire Firms. These companies must be registered under the Traffic Act

Medical Certificates

Medical Certificates are required for certain types of licences and generally need to be renewed periodically. Holders of driving licences of category C, C1 and E to J are required to renew their medical certificates every five years.


Department of Transport
Motor Vehicle Test Centre
Eastern Beach
General Enquiries Tel: +350 20051603
Fax: +350 20077984
Transport Commission & Permits Tel: +350 20051520
Fax: +350 20050551

bottom of page